Monday, November 3, 2008

Superwoman throws a party!

Tonight we had a birthday celebration for Robert's birthday. His actual birthday was on Halloween, but we were at church that night and decided to wait until today to actually celebrate. The kids were excited and we spent the day cleaning, since Rob doesn't really like "gifts", but does enjoy a super clean house. It was such a blessing to see the boys so excited about cleaning up for their Dad. Bobby tackled the bathroom while Phillip and I doubled up in the kitchen. With my pregnancy, housework has not been a high priority, so we had quite a bit to do. Of course Daniel was "tired" as he always is when it comes to cleaning, but Ria was a trooper in picking up and putting things away. While Ria and I prepared and baked Rob's birthday cake (pineapple upside down cake) the boys attacked the mountain of laundry in the living room while watching Peter Pan. I cooked Rob chicken spaghetti with a salad and green beans, not realizing that Rob had actually requested grilled chicken with rice... Somewhere in our conversation on Sunday, I turned the volume off and ignored the last part of our conversation when he asked me to grill the chicken. It wasn't a big deal, but I wanted the meal to be special to him and in my frustration I almost started crying because I felt that the evening was ruined without the chicken. Obviously I was having a very pregnant hormonal moment. He was not upset at all, but I was, so I put on my superwoman cape, which I have been trying to wean myself from, and grabbed some chicken breast, marinade and a plastic bag. I warmed up the grill, marinated the chicken for about 25 minutes and presto, my desire to cry subsided. Of course, Rob assured me that there was no need for me to cook the chicken, but I am of course, superwoman! Mom and Dad came over for dinner and we all sat down and had a great dinner. Every one loved the food and the cake was a big hit. Most of all, Rob was happy. The kids all made cards for Dad and the older kids wrote him letters. He loved the "gifts" and I felt bad, because in the busyness of my day, I, superwoman, forgot to write my own happy birthday letter. Oh well, I guess I'll hang up that cape again, or atleast send it to the cleaners.

No comments:


Books we're reading

  • Heroes (stories from Iraq) This is Phillip's fave!
  • The Magician's Nephew
  • A Triumph for Flavius
  • Alexander the Great
  • Aesop's Fables
  • Johnny Tremain
  • Miracle on Maple Hill
  • The Story of Esther
  • Story of the World
  • Apologia Science: Astronomy
  • Curriculum: Tapestry Of Grace: Year One
  • The Bible
  • The Great Brain
  • King Solomon and the trees
  • King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba

Happy to be in Kindergarten

Happy to be in Kindergarten

The Kiddo's

The Kiddo's
All content copyright 2008-2009 G. Deveaux